Tuesday, November 5, 2013

No NaNo

I owe you a huge apology for my absence. Perhaps you’re one of those people who try to look for excuses and make up scenarios for why I haven’t been contributing to the Conundrum Corner lately.

You may think I’ve been too busy reading, or writing, or working, or cooking, or rearing children, or imagining. You are correct. I’ve been doing all of the above and more. The one thing I have not done, and meant to, was join NaNoWriMo. For those of you who don’t know what NaNoWriMo is, here’s the low-down. It’s a month long frenzy in which you write like mad a minimum of 50K words—I’m keeping the explanation as short as possible. There are many perks and other details that go with it, but they are not as important as starting and finishing a literary masterpiece in one month. Well, something to that effect. So I had meant to join the writing craze and then decided against it. 


Writing 50K in a month and creating something cohesive is a LOT of work. And I’m the Queen of Procrastination! I would probably be up all night on the last day of NaNoWriMo, pounding on the keys of my laptop, writing what would surely be a disaster. So no. I’m not going to write something that’s going to take the rest of my life to revise. I think I’ll stick to my moments of clarity, escapism, and musings. They are rare, unfortunately, but when I have them, I feel like my fingers move across the keyboard at the speed of light; my spirit is completely detached from my body; and my eyes see the beyond into which I’ve submerged my ethereal self.
Those are the moments I cherish the most because they have allowed me to be a vessel for words and sentences at which I can only stare with my mouth open, thinking...


And then comes the hard part. Spreading the word. Yup, authors have to be marketers as well. This is the part of book publishing in which we generally suck. I know I do, so please, if you have any ideas on how to get my books into as many hands as possible, don’t be shy. Spill! 

                  Talk to you soon. I promise!


2 comments:

  1. Aneta, I've nominated you for an award if you choose to accept. Check out my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathrina. I'll go check it out right now. :)

      Delete