Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Forward into the Past


I’m finally free from any school obligations (well, except for the graduation ceremony). Several days ago, I sent out my thesis manuscript, The Guardian, for binding and now I found that at the end of the road, where I’d expected a block wall that would obstruct my creativity for a while, is a golden gate, to which I have the key, instead. I unlocked it while writing the Aesthetic Statement which accompanies my thesis. And where did it lead me, you ask? Back into my childhood.
 

I grew up on fire-breathing dragons, damsels in distress, shadowy figures lurking in the dark forest, witches brewing potions, and blood-curdling monsters slaughtered by valiant knights, to name the very few. In my Aesthetic Statement called “Examining Monstrosity” I ponder over my attachment to monsters about which I write in The GuardianAnd having to examine my past and my inspiration to write in the first place made me realize something very important. I MUST share the stories on which I grew up, stories that taught me moral lessons, helped me understand cultures, explore people's identities, how and why we view the Otherness we consider to be monstrous, and most importantly, they helped me understand myself.


And so I’m taking on a summer project. I’ve decided to retell my favorite childhood fairy tales (and, mind you, these are no tales about Snow White or Red Riding Hood; these are much darker and grimmer but beautiful) in a collection that has no title as of yet. I’m doing this not only because of my love for storytelling, but because we are raising a generation of wussies, who will grow up with anything that starts with the letter i (phone, pad, pod, etc.) attached to their umbilical cord.


Today’s stories are geared toward socially diverse issues which, granted, help children understand the world around them in a very gentle and informative way. But where is the true, suck-it-up-and-face-your-fear kind of bravery in any of them? Today's stories are just all too real. What happened to the mystery, magic—thank goodness for J. K. Rowling, the Otherness


I think it's time to move forward into the past. It's time to lower the bucket into the bottomless well of old stories and pull out the tales that stretch our children’s imaginations, ignite their hearts with passion, spark their minds with curiosity, and make them utter, “What if…?”


If you have an idea for the title of my collection of fairy tales, you are more than welcome to share. I’m all ears. :o)
And if you have a fairy tale to share, do not hesitate to do so!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome. I'm working on a top secret project based off one of my fav childhood stories as well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great. The Guardian (my thesis) is based on a very old and very scary poem. Good luck on your project! Looking forward to reading it.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good undertaking. I'm curious about these dark tales you speak of. Like Grimm's per chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something like that, Nana, though with more of an Eastern influence, such as Baltic tales and central European stuff... :)

      Delete