Sunday, December 16, 2012

Happy Holidays from the Queen of Procrastination

Jeez, it’s been a while since I posted here. I need to get up and have someone kick my butt for neglecting the Conundrum Corner, especially since I’ve had countless conundrums on my mind lately. So, first things first. Since Poe’s return life has fallen back onto its normal, hectic (that is my normal) rails.

I began a class on screenwriting. It is great but very difficult if you’re a novelist, therefore the boss of everything that happens in your story. Filmmaking is a collaboration of many artists such as Director, Producer, Actors, Cameramen, Editor, Costumes Designers, Musicians, etc.—you get the picture (no pun intended)—and the Screenwriter is the foundation of the movie, but not the visionary (this ah-sucks), and therefore rarely recognized (Seriously, can you tell me, off the top of your head, who wrote the script of your favorite movie? No? Shame on you!). Therein lies the problem.

Screenwriters are always chastised for “overdirecting” the script. But I can’t help not getting a little worked up if the character and his/her actions in the director’s head don’t mirror those in my head! I think this class will teach me how to share (my ideas) and how to stay as brief as possible in describing what is to be seen/heard on screen, which is truly difficult if you love words. So my writing agenda is beginning to grow. My novel, The Guardian, which I’m guarding from everyone until it’s ripe because it is just too awesome and will be a bestseller one day (this I just know) is now going to be a screenplay as well.

Next, I have officially joined the ranks of wonderful writers at Black Opal Books and my picture and bio is up on their website, so please check it out. I also got word that BOB’s Senior Editor (yikes) has begun editing Heartbreak Hotel. This is great and a little scary at the same time as I’m eagerly expecting suggestions for revision. Revisions are like the peanut butter to the jelly of first drafts (btw, there is never only one first draft). Without them, your book sandwich would be pretty plain. And if an author tells you that s/he doesn’t revise, then s/he is either stuck up or lying.

And finally, Christmas is around the corner and I haven’t even sent out Christmas cards, started baking my famous cookies, or shopping for gifts. Now, I had already mentioned several times in my other posts that I am the Queen of Procrastination, but from today’s post you see that it is not by choice. With this I’d like to apologize to the postal system that cashes in on me BIG TIME during the holidays as I always mail cards to my family and friends all over Europe and to everyone who will not receive a Season’s Greeting from the Cruz Family this year. Please, at least accept this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment