Monday, September 3, 2012

Labor Day's Labor of Love

Happy Labor Day! Since I have a day off, and today is supposed to be dedicated to all the hard working people, I figured that I would do a little labor of love about the subjects I love: writing, reading, and books in general.
Enjoy the famous quotes of some people I look up to. And if you are an aspiring writer (I hope you know what laborious occupation you are getting yourself into), may the following serve as a guiding light through the tunnel of madness (or you can call it “imagination”, but really, who are you kidding?).
Oh, and happy anniversary to my Muse—my husband Gary—whom I “fished” out of the ocean at Laguna Beach fourteen years ago.
 
“Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.”
~ Benjamin Franklin
 
“This morning I took out a comma and this afternoon I put it back in again.”
~ Oscar Wilde
 
“A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction.”
~ William Faulkner
 
“If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. As to that regular, uninterrupted love of writing. I do not understand it. I feel it as a torture, which I must get rid of, but never as a pleasure. On the contrary, I think composition a great pain.”
~ Lord Byron
 
“The greatest part of a writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book.”
~ Samuel Johnson
 
“Every secret of a writer's soul, every experience of his life, every quality of his mind is written large in his works.”
~ Virginia Woolf
 
“You can never correct your work well until you have forgotten it.”
~ Voltaire
 
“I like to write when I feel spiteful. It is like having a good sneeze.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
 
“He who does not expect a million readers should not write a line.”
~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
 
“There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
~ Ernest Hemingway
 
“Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.”
~ Edgar Allan Poe
 
“First, find out what your hero wants, then just follow him!”
~ Ray Bradbury
 
“My own experience is that once a story has been written, one has to cross out the beginning and the end. It is there that we authors do most of our lying.”
~ Anton Chekhov
 
A word is dead
When it is said,
Some say.
I say it just begins
to live that day.
~ Emily Dickinson 
 
“I am irritated by my own writing. I am like a violinist whose ear is true, but whose fingers refuse to reproduce precisely the sound he hears within.”
~ Gustave Flaubert 
 
“The artist is not a person endowed with free will who seeks his own ends, but one who allows art to realize its supreme purpose through him.”
~ Carl Jung 
 
“I try to create sympathy for my characters, then turn the monsters loose.”
~ Stephen King 
 
“Words are the most powerful drug used by mankind.”
~ Rudyard Kipling 
 
“The author must keep his mouth shut when his work starts to speak.”
~ Frederich Nietzsche
 
"All writers are vain, selfish and lazy, and at the very bottom of their motives lies a mystery. Writing a book is a long, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand.”
~ George Orwell
 
“And as imagination bodies forth the forms of things unknown, the poet's pen turns them to shapes, and gives to airy nothings a local habitation and a name.”
~ William Shakespeare
 
“Invention, it must be humbly admitted, does not consist in creating out of a void, but out of chaos; the materials must in the first place be afforded; it can give form to dark, shapeless substances, but cannot bring into being the substance itself.”
~ Mary Shelley
 
“If there's a book you really want to read but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
~ Toni Morrison
 
“A writer should have another lifetime to see if he's appreciated.
~ Jorge Luis Borges
 
And finally:
my mind is like a teapot:
thoughts slowly simmering
until they reach the boiling point;
and only when I can no longer stand
the whistling in my head,
I pour them out
on paper
                                                  ~ Aneta Cruz

 

1 comment: