Monday, August 13, 2012

The 2012 Olympics (Wrap) Tape Up

Now that the fire of the Olympic torch is extinguished, and the Americans are done kicking the other countries’ asses in Gym class, let’s take a moment to examine the most important aspect of this iconic sporting event: THE TAPE. What the hell was going on with all that tape? Was there a sale at Michael’s? Almost every athlete was dresses (seriously—dressed, often they had more tape than uniform) in tape of all sorts of vibrant colors which was formed into all sorts of intricate patterns. At first I thought the tape was supposed to be some kind of a temporary tattoo which was to intimidate or distract the opponent. You know, like in nature when animals use their colors and patterns in order to advertise their superiority and to intimidate either the predator or the prey. But no. The tape of many vivid colors is actually a Kinesiology Tape which, simply stated, is supposed to help alleviate pain and discomfort in the athletes’ muscles.
Now to that I say: Bullshit!
You don’t see me walking into the classroom with a pomegranate margarita glued to my forehead because I expect it to alleviate the pain in my brain which I always get from trying to explain the difference between an apostrophe and a comma to high schoolers!
So I’ll say it again: Bullshit!
Take the tape off and go to work like the rest of us hard-working people with aches and ailments. Only then you deserve a medal.


3 comments:

  1. Well said, Aneta. The "Healing" tape was definitely new style in Olympics. Let's see what else they will come up with in next Olympics. They have 4 yrs to go. LALA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ordered some "spider tech" tape to see if it really works! I'll let you know if it's BS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about the tape, I am still trying to figure out the big baby in Opening Ceremonies!

    reni and deni

    ReplyDelete